The Gorgas House Museum is the oldest structure on The University of Alabama campus.
Built in 1829, the building served as a dining hall, hotel, and residence for the University’s Steward. Converted into a faculty residence in the 1840s, it was one of four buildings to survive the campus Civil War burning in 1865.
Now, named for the Gorgas family that occupied the home from 1879-1953, the Museum houses original Gorgas furnishings, memorabilia, and a collection of 19th century artifacts. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
Blue Star Museums is a collaboration among the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, the Department of Defense, and museums across America. Each summer since 2010, Blue Star Museums have offered free admission to the nation’s active-duty military personnel and their families, including National Guard and Reserve. The 2019 Blue Star Museums program began on Saturday, May 18, 2019, Armed Forces Day, and will end on Monday, September 2, 2019, Labor Day. Visit Blue Star Museums for more information.
As a cornerstone of The University of Alabama, the Gorgas House Museum will serve as an active community resource, committed to learning through exhibition, education, and social engagement.
To preserve and interpret the Gorgas family legacy and their home’s significance to the history of The University of Alabama. As the first campus building, the Gorgas House Museum provides a connection between the original campus of 1831 and that of today.
The University of Alabama Museums
The Gorgas House Museum is part of a larger University of Alabama Museums system that includes the Alabama Museum of Natural History, Discovering Alabama, Moundville Archaeological Park, and the Office of Archaeological Research. Learn more about The University of Alabama Museums.